HID Projector Retrofit Technical Information
There are three basic flavors of light emitting bulbs for headlight use
- Halogen bulbs (stock)
- PlugNPlay HID kits (replace stock halogen bulbs)
- HID Projector Retrofit (projector unit replaces stock halogen bulb and reflector)
When most people think of HIDs they think of the Plug’N'Play HID kits that replace your stock headlight bulbs.
The unfortunate truth about them is simple: These Plug’N'Play HID kits are JUNK!
Pictures say a thousand words:
(Plug n Play HID Kit)
(HID Projector Retrofit)
In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has issued a statement against the use of Plug’N'Play kits.
The left bulb is the stock halogen.
The right bulb is a Plug’N'Play HID kit.
The Plug’N'Play HID is blinding the camera,
while the stock halogens light up the road better!
The Solution: Bi-Xenon Projectors
- Good light distribution doesn’t disturb oncoming traffic
- Uniform intensity allows your eyes to take in everything in front of you
- Pure white light gives your car a better look and illuminates the road effectively
- Defined cutoff gives desirable color-flicker effect
These projectors make efficient use of light from an HID bulb with a specially designed reflector bowl. They utilize an electronically controlled cutoff to block half of the light when in the ‘low beam’ position. Here are a few photographs that show you the difference between the operation of the Bi-Xenon HID Projectors. When you see these pictures it will be very clear why they are so desireable. There is also an animated image showing a Bi-Xenon projector switching between high and low beams. You can see how light is physically blocked by a shield when the headlights are in ‘low beam mode.’
The Bi-Xenon Projector retrofits are FAR SUPERIOR! (That’s why people ask us to retrofit them!)